The Installation and Repair Technician installs, maintains, and services broadband Internet services, voice services, television services and customer premise equipment. Typically installs and repairs fiber optic cabling, drop wires, station protectors, and network interface devices, and performs initial wiring or rewiring for new subscriber systems. May also work at the business office, repairing CPE dropped off by customers. May install and maintain multi-line key systems, PBXs and other unregulated equipment. Apply today!
Customer Service Excellence
In keeping with our mission of customer satisfaction, all jobs carry with them an overriding responsibility to provide extraordinary customer service in terms of quality, timeliness and assistance. A commitment to service excellence is expected of all employees.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for nurturing and maintaining good customer and public relations throughout the communities in which GCTEL serves.
- Installs, maintains, and services broadband internet services, voice services, and television services as well as customer equipment in a high quality and efficient manner.
- Proficient in understanding the facilities of the local distribution network.
- Installs, maintains, tests, and repairs video services to include set top boxes, home equipment, and entertainment systems in an efficient and courteous manner.
- Installs, maintains, tests, and repairs all data services. Provides answers or recommendations on data services to ensure high customer satisfaction.
- Completes electronic documentation of installation, test reports, and plant records in an accurate and timely manner for billing and record keeping purposes.
- May install and maintain phone system equipment including IP phone systems.
- Performs fiber optic testing, preparation and potentially splicing when needed.
- Installs new services and equipment for customers by installing drop wires, station protectors, and NIDs. Wires new systems using appropriate tools and resources.
- Provide connection for LAN and WAN and related applications.
- Provides training, feedback and support to others on an as needed basis.
- Communicates accurate project updates to Installation and Repair Supervisor and/or other departments as needed.
- Ensures all work is performed in accordance with generally accepted principles as well as documented within the eLations billing system.
- Performs safety inspections of grounds, buildings, vehicles and equipment to insure a safe working environment. Escalates areas of concerns as needed and in a timely manner.
- *Performs other related duties assigned by Management.
*These tasks do not meet the Americans With Disabilities Act definition of essential job functions and are usually less than 5% of time spend. However, these tasks still constitute important performance aspects of the job.
- Advanced knowledge of Company policies, procedures, products and services.
- Skill in customer service and customer relations.
- Ability to describe and demonstrate products and features to customers.
- Ability to complete work accurately under time constraints and deadlines.
- Ability to communicate with customers, co-workers and various business contacts in a courteous and professional manner.
- Ability to understand basic troubleshooting techniques with regards to customer inquiries.
- Ability to function effectively as a team player.
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand English well.
- Knowledge of general office and safety practices and procedures.
- Skill in operating a computer using data base, word processing, spreadsheet software, email, Instant Messenger, billing software and the Internet.
- Skill in operating various office equipment such as; ten-key adding machine, copy machine, facsimile machine, multi-line telephone, cell phone, and credit card swipe machine.
- Strong knowledge, skill and ability in installation and maintenance of voice, video and data services and all hardware and software components within the telecommunications industry.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent plus two years of telecommunications schooling or equivalent work experience.
- Two years of experience in the installation and maintenance of telecommunication equipment also required.
- Valid and Insurable Driver’s License.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals. We are committed to insuring that all recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, and other employment related programs are provided fairly to all persons on an equal opportunity basis, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, genetic background, disability, pregnancy, public assistance, familial status, human rights commission activity and sexual orientation. These are protected classes under the MN Human Rights Act. Applicants for employment who believe they have been discriminated against have the right to notify the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 1801 L Street, NW, Washington DC 20507.
All personnel actions such as recruitment, compensation, benefits, transfers, training, and participation in social and recreational programs are administered without regard to any characteristic protected by state, federal or local law. Applicants will not be subjected to harassment, intimidation, threats, retaliation, coercion or discrimination because they have exercised any right protected by law.
I understand that by GCTEL accepting my application is in no way making a promise of employment. I understand that if I am hired, my employment is founded on the employment-at-will principle meaning that I as well as GCTEL are able to terminate employment at any time without just cause. In addition, I understand that by applying at GCTEL I am not guaranteed employment and that all applications are given equal and fair consideration.
I authorize any school, previous employer, or reference disclosed in my cover letter, resume, application or interview to provide information about my performance or persona. I also unconditionally, release such school, previous employer, or reference disclosed from any and all liability for furnishing such information.
GCTEL reserves the right to conduct a background investigation as a condition of employment. In addition, I consent to undergo testing for commonly abused controlled substances. I understand that if I test positive on a drug screening, any offer of employment could be revoked.
By submitting this application, I understand that I have read, fully understand and accept all terms.