Responsible for cleaning and maintaining assigned areas ensuring results meet the established standards of quality including cleanliness, orderliness, functionality, and safety required by the company. Responsible for performing light and heavy cleaning duties, routine maintenance activities, notifying management of need for repairs and seasonal grounds keeping at multiple locations. The Custodian is responsible for independently completing daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, bi-annual, and annual routine maintenance of GCTEL buildings, equipment, and grounds. Aids staff, visitors, vendors, and other employees based on GCTEL needs.
Job Title: Custodian
Reports To: Executive Assistant
Location: Brandon, MN
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Customer Service Excellence
In keeping with our mission of customer satisfaction, all jobs carry with them an overriding responsibility to provide extraordinary customer service in terms of quality, timeliness and assistance. A commitment to service excellence is expected of all employees.
Essential Job Functions
(May include but are not limited to the following. Other duties may be assigned.)
- Performs work according to standard procedure and by GCTEL’s operational schedule.
- Maintains a clean and orderly environment to project the safety and health of others.
- Ensures safety and security of company assets by performing such tasks as locking doors and properly arming the alarm system after operating hours and checking electrical appliance use to ensure hazards are not created.
- Reports any maintenance concerns to the Executive Assistant immediately.
- Cleans company vehicles and ensures proper fluid levels, gasoline, washer fluid, oil, etc.
- Properly cleans and maintains housekeeping equipment.
- Requisitions supplies and equipment needed for cleaning and maintenance duties.
- Properly and safely uses and mixes chemicals in accordance to chemical manufacturer’s Safety Data Sheets to clean, treat for weeds and insects, or maintain grounds and equipment with chemicals.
- Wears appropriate PPE when required.
- Clears debris from grounds with the use of mowers, hand power trimmers and blowers.
- Removes snow from sidewalks, driveways and parking areas using snowplows, snow blowers, and snow shovels and spreads snow melting chemicals.
- Moves heavy objects either manually or with the assistance of a hand truck/dolly system.
- Is responsible for the setup, arrangement and removal of decorations, tables, chairs, ladders, and scaffolding to prepare facilities for events such as banquets and special meetings.
- Performs daily routine light cleaning duties such as but not limited to dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, cleaning windows, servicing restrooms, recycling, and garbage removal.
- Performs heavy cleaning duties as needed with the use of hand tools, power tools or commercial cleaning equipment. Duties include but are not limited to steam cleaning/shampooing carpets, strip/seal/finish and polish floors, clean chimneys, flues and connecting pipes, clean and restore building interiors damaged by fire, smoke, or water.
- Performs monthly Central Office maintenance, cleaning, and repairs.
- Performs monthly equipment checks for GCTEL GOAT and COW.
- Performs quarterly maintenance and repairs at GCTEL remote Node and Wireless sites.
- Runs portable generator tests on a quarterly basis and ensures generators are can be used on a “grab and go” basis. Marks non-working generators for repairs and works to get them repaired or replaced in a timely manner.
- Performs bi-annual HVAC cleaning and filter changes at GCTEL Central Office and Wireless sites.
- Performs annual oil/filter and spark plug changes on stationary generators at GCTEL Central Office and Wireless sites.
- Ability to multi-task, problem solve, handle frequent interruptions, and make sound decisions using the information and materials at hand.
- Travels to and works at various Company locations and offices.
- Performs duties during regular and non-regular business hours.
- *Performs other related duties assigned by Management.
*These tasks do not meet the Americans With Disabilities Act definition of essential job functions and are usually less than 5% of time spend. However, these tasks still constitute important performance aspects of the job.
Education and Experience Desired
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each item under “Essential Job Functions” satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) certificate and one to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Mathematical Skills
- Reasoning Skills
- Communication Skills
- Mechanical aptitude
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, grasp, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit.
- The employee regularly uses muscles to lift, push, pull, or carry objects up to 50-75 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
|Must be able to see details of objects that are less than a few feet away.||
|Must be able to hear well enough to communicate with employees and business contacts.||
|Must be able to grasp, handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls.||
|Lifting/Pulling/Pushing – Weight||
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This position is 32 hours a week, Monday through Friday from 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Proof U.S. Work Eligibility
- On-going training when deemed by Management.
- Valid and Insurable Driver’s License.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all individuals. We are committed to insuring that all recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, and other employment related programs are provided fairly to all persons on an equal opportunity basis, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, genetic background, disability, pregnancy, public assistance, familial status, human rights commission activity and sexual orientation. These are protected classes under the MN Human Rights Act. Applicants for employment who believe they have been discriminated against have the right to notify the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 1801 L Street, NW, Washington DC 20507.
All personnel actions such as recruitment, compensation, benefits, transfers, training, and participation in social and recreational programs are administered without regard to any characteristic protected by state, federal or local law. Applicants will not be subjected to harassment, intimidation, threats, retaliation, coercion or discrimination because they have exercised any right protected by law.
I understand that by GCTEL accepting my application is in no way making a promise of employment. I understand that if I am hired, my employment is founded on the employment-at-will principle meaning that I as well as GCTEL are able to terminate employment at any time without just cause. In addition, I understand that by applying at GCTEL I am not guaranteed employment and that all applications are given equal and fair consideration.
I authorize any school, previous employer, or reference disclosed in my cover letter, resume, application or interview to provide information about my performance or persona. I also unconditionally, release such school, previous employer, or reference disclosed from any and all liability for furnishing such information.
GCTEL reserves the right to conduct a background investigation as a condition of employment. In addition, I consent to undergo testing for commonly abused controlled substances. I understand that if I test positive on a drug screening, any offer of employment could be revoked.
By submitting this application, I understand that I have read, fully understand and accept all terms.